Introduction to Qualitative Methods Summer School: 18 – 21 July 2022
Booking now open! Click here to book
Aims of the course
This four-day course aims to provide students with an understanding of the purpose and appropriate use of qualitative research methods. The course is intended to be both practical and accessible and aims to equip students with the skills to undertake their own qualitative research. Course tutors will provide examples from their own work to illustrate the application of qualitative research in the mental health field.
Different theoretical approaches to data collection and analysis will be explored, including the Grounded Theory approach, Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis, Ethnography and Community Based Participatory Research. Methods to be described will include individual interviews, focus group discussions, novel methods of data collection and content and thematic analysis.
- Understand the epistemological assumptions of qualitative research and key principles and practices of different theoretical perspectives, including Grounded Theory, Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis, Ethnography and Comunity Based Participatory Research.
- Understand the purpose and application of qualitative methods of data collection including interviews, focus groups and participant observation.
- Appreciate ethical issues surrounding the use of qualitative methods in health research.
- Understand and apply common skills and procedures that exist across qualitative methods of data analysis.
- Critically appraise qualitative research and understand how to install rigour in the research process.
Who is it for?
The Summer School is intended to introduce students to the basic principles and pratices involved in undertaking qualitative research. It is relevant to researchers, mental health practitioners, service providers and users, and all those with an interest in understanding and applying qualitative research methods.
Course directors: Dr Vanessa Lawrence and Dr Abigail Easter
Entry requirements: An undergraduate degree OR a relevant professional qualification.
Application process: Click here to go to the booking page.
Application deadline: 10th July 2022